Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Resisting the deadly temptation of smoking

World No Tobacco Day is observed around the world every year on May 31 to encourage a 24-hour period of abstinence from all forms of tobacco consumption across the globe.
Speak Up tells you how Puneites have succeeded in battling their addiction:

Growing health problems was a wake-up call for me
I left smoking because I started experiencing some major health problems. I had chest pains and couldn’t breathe properly. I went to a doctor who properly guided and told me how to start the process of curbing my addiction. I got to know that if I continued to smoke, there were much larger risks involved, more than the ones I was already experiencing. That was like a wake-up call for me. I am relieved that I have finally got over my smoking habit.

Anand Sarak, shop owner

Antoxid helps you to quit tobacco products
I joined Dr Gangwal on February 19, 1997 as an office boy. Now I am his personal assistant. Sir helps patients fight with their smoking addiction each and every day. I used to smoke, eat tobacco and gutka since college days. Sir never questioned me about my habits but I have seen his work and attended all his lectures. I have read every article of his, which convinced me to give up my bad habits. I also encourage tell my friends to quit smoking. Antoxid is a tablet that helps you to quit tobacco products. It creates a very bad smell inside your throat, which makes you stay away from tobacco products. Mucous fibrosis is caused due to which you cannot even open your mouth.

Sunil Pardeshi, personal assistant

I tell my friends about the dangers of tobacco
It was one and a half back during Navrata while I was roaming about, I came across an exhibition. I went there to just spend some time and came across a stall set up by Dr Gangwal. There were many weird posters put up in the stall showing the diseases that can be caused by tobacco products and smoking. I got the shock of my life and I decided to quit smoking. I tried to control my smoking urges but it did not help me much. Then one day I visited Dr Gangwal’s clinic and he gave me some medicines that helped me in quitting this hazardous habit. Now I am very happy as I have stopped smoking. I also tell my friends about the dangers of tobacco, some listen others don’t. I just hope no one falls prey to any of the diseases.

Ravi Ware, marketing executive

I am glad that I won’t influence youth to smoke
I have not smoked for almost eight months now. And I am very happy that I have managed to quit smoking. I got to know about the health hazards of smoking and I didn’t want to take any chances. I also realised how it would affect the new generation. If the youngsters see an older person smoking, they would not hesitate to follow suit. But I am really glad that at least I won’t play a part in influencing the youth to smoke. I must have told at least 100 people about the hazards of smoking. But I’m happy to know that 20% did actually quit smoking.

Satish Merurkar, executive, (name changed on request)

I motivated all my friends to quit smoking
I used to suffer from a terrible cough when I used to smoke. I have stopped smoking for almost a year now and the cough has left me for good. I stopped after I got to know about the health hazards, which are result of consistent smoking. To be honest, I do not want to become a victim of smoking. I saw posters of people who end up suffering on the health front because of smoking and that really motivated me to quit smoking. I also attended lectures on how to quit smoking. Through these lectures, I realised that by smoking, I was really being a bad influence on the young minds as well. I motivated all my friends to quit smoking by telling them about its terrible consequences, and three of my friends have already given up smoking. All I wish to say is that people should refrain from smoking as no good can come out of it.

Dattaray Dhawade, government service, (name changed on request)

Article Originally published for DNA