International Women's Day 2011 marks the 100th such day in world history, and it is being celebrated today, March 8, 2011.Events are scheduled to take place in more than 100 countries around the world on March 8, 2011, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day.
In the United States, President Barack Obama proclaimed March 2011 to be "Women's History Month", calling Americans to mark IWD by reflecting on "the extraordinary accomplishments of women" in shaping the country's history. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton launched the "100 Women Initiative: Empowering Women and Girls through International Exchanges", on the eve of IWD.
The official International Women's Day Web site notes the following about the occasion:
International Women's Day (8 March) is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future. In some places like China, Russia, Vietnam and Bulgaria, IWD is a national holiday.
The United Nations has given its full support to International Women's Day and it fights for women's rights as a major global issue.
Nicholas Kristof articulated three ideas for raising women's status around the world in a New York Times column today.
In 1910, the first international women's conference was held in Copenhagen and countries around the world began celebrating the event annually beginning the following year.
Women’s day 2011 SMS | Women’s day Special
· Watever u do, u do it wth grace,style warmth & smile!Happy Women’s Day!
· You are one special woman and I want you to know how very important U r this Day
· Like d flower who holds its dew,U hold me when i need u!Thanx-Happy Women’s Day!
· On Women’s History month sending u this txt to say I Admire U.Happy Women’s Day!:)
· Gathering for u a bouquet of wishes just to say you are special!Happy Women’s Day